Call to Order: Tammy Kitterman, President, called the meeting to order at 8:01 PM
Present: Tammy Kitterman, Juli Baumgarner, Patti McGowan, Tina Hertzog, Sandra Salerno, Molly Black
Excused Absences: Lisa Lopatofsky, Gordon Boe
To the Board: Tammy asked if anyone had a conflict with any of the agenda topics. There were no objections or conflicts to the Agenda.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to accept the Minutes of the February 10, 2020 Board Meeting Minutes was made by Tina Hertzog and Patti McGowan seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report: Gordon Boe, Treasurer, provided the Treasurer’s Report by email, prior to the meeting. Molly Black made motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report and Juli Baumgarner seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Outreach Committee - Patti and Molly reported that they exhibited at Rep. Dan Miller’s Disability and Mental Health Summit on March 3. PPDB got a lot of exposure and many people stopped by the table. Event was attended by over 1,100 people. Vendor giveaway items are running low. Molly will look into the cost of replenishing the current items and ideas for other items with our logo on them. Juli mentioned that she will follow up with Gordon to get started on placing this as a line item for the budget, especially as we move forward with Committees.
Membership Committee - Tammy Kitterman and Patti McGowan – One new member was added since last month, Erin Gabriel and Family. One new renewal was added, which was Johnine Bakauskas.
Molly presented the Nomination Policy, adapted from NFADB’s template. After discussion and noted changes and typos corrected, a Motion was made to accept the Nomination Policy by Juli and seconded by Patti. Motion passed.
Nominations Committee – Full Board and Molly Black, Chair.
There have been two nominations to the Board, those being: Johnine Bickauskas and Erin Gabriel. No Applications have been received to date for review. Molly will follow up with the nominees to determine if they will accept these nominations and complete the application process.
- Toolkit Completion –– Juli completed the review of the Toolkit. We are to look at who we are as an organization and as a Board. New members need to know what is expected from them and an orientation should be conducted. We need to be clear about our organization and our Board as a whole. Discussion included:
- How do we orient a new person – FAQ Sheet
- How do we look at ourselves as a Board?
Tina suggested that it would be a good idea to meet once a year in person and we could consider meeting in the summer. Patti indicated that we should delay meeting in person until we have had a chance to review the goals and missions of each Committee and determine action plans of the committee work.
We should have a Board purpose and outline for meeting in person.
Juli asked that each member complete an Evaluation Form and return it to her so that we can define our strengths and prioritize and address our weaknesses.
Please complete how we feel about ourselves as a Board, with notes and suggestions and how can we improve ourselves? Where do we have gaps and how can we strengthen the Board so that we can strengthen the organization. This Evaluation Form was provided to you by email. (Since this meeting a Talent Form has also been emailed and you are requested to complete that too and return to Juli.)
- NE CHARGE CONFERENCE – NY Parent Association for the DeafBlind requested a donation for the Saturday evening parent event. Juli reviewed the line item protocol and she made the Motion and Patti seconded the motion to: participate at a vendor table, cost is $100, and $50 donation toward supplies/music for Saturday evening Social for families and one $15.00 free membership to be drawn among the PA attendees who are not yet PPDB members. Vote – Juli – yes, Molly, yes; Tina, No, Tammy, yes, Patti, yes, Sandra had to leave the meeting prior to the vote, but had texted this before stepping off the conference call: “I would be in favor of spending 200 (or more) for the charge family conference”, so she was included as a “yes” vote. 5-Yes, 1-No. Molly will work with Gordon to have the amounts forwarded to the NYPADB, through its President, Suzanne Chen.
- Shout Outs – This subject will be addressed by Tammy through an email vote.
- Meeting Adjourned at 9:26 PM